American Vacuum was invited to bid on a multi-facility project for a major pet food producer. The project required upgrading certain equipment and replacing obsolete and outdated equipment with the goal of increasing the efficiency of the operations, improving the cleanliness of the facility, and increasing workers’ safety.
Pet food processing requires efficient, sanitary processing of a range of materials, including dust-producing grains, wet and dry food, and food additives. To maintain cleanliness, sanitation, prevent cross-contamination, and ensure worker safety, vacuuming systems are used throughout the processing plant. During transport, mixing and processing, dust accumulates throughout the plant and needs to be cleaned for sanitation and safety. Spills occur during transfer and processing. In addition, grain and dry food dust are highly combustible and the vacuuming system is a critical element in minimizing the risk of fire or explosion. The requirements for the project included:
- Centralized vacuum system for efficient dust collection and spill cleanup in the processing facility and loading and unloading stations, including railcar unloading and transfer stations within the facility
- Durable, high-volume bulk material conveying
- Equipment must operate efficiently in a high volume, demanding 24/7 processing environment
- All equipment must meet OSHA and NFPA requirements
American Vacuum’s solution provided the pet food processor with an innovative central vacuuming system that covered the entire facility efficiently and effectively.
- Central vacuum systems, providing 4-6 operator concurrent access to the system throughout the plant
- Three separate tube manifold systems to different parts of the facility
- Control panel providing remote start/stop stations throughout the facility
- All equipment meets latest OSHA and NFPA requirements
We provided turnkey installation services, from bid through equipment commissioning. Training was provided to plant staff to ensure optimal operations.
Installation of American Vacuum’s equipment met the specific equipment requirements for the project. In addition, the client reported increased cleanliness, improvements in efficiency, and decreased maintenance man hours throughout the facilities with the new and upgraded equipment.