Louis Dreyfus Commodities, a Fortune 100 grain exporter, invited American Vacuum to bid on a project to provide dust control vacuuming equipment for an export terminal expansion. The project encompassed multiple buildings and storage silos and bins for a grain transfer facility. The goal of the project was to provide an effective, sanitary collection of combustible grain dust throughout the existing export terminal and the expanded processing facilities, ensuring an efficient, clean, and safe processing environment.
Efficient, sanitary processing for grains requires superior dust and waste control as the grain is transported and moved through the storage and processing facilities. In addition, grain dust is highly combustible and controlling air-borne dust via a vacuuming system is a critical element in minimizing the risk of fire or explosion. During processing, dust accumulates throughout the plant and needs to be cleaned for sanitation and safety. Spills occur during transfer and processing. The requirements for the project included:
- Centralized vacuum system for efficient dust collection and spill cleanup for multiple buildings, storage silos, and bins, and loading and unloading stations, including railcar unloading and transfer stations within the facility, and throughout the processing plant and buildings
- Durable, high-volume bulk material conveying
- Equipment must operate efficiently in a high volume, demanding 24/7 processing environment
- All equipment must meet OSHA and NFPA requirements
American Vacuum’s solution provided Louis Dreyfus Commodities with an innovative central vacuuming system that covered the entire facility efficiently and effectively.
- Powerful central vacuum system designed to handle 4 operators at any given time
- Extensive tubing system (over 2,500 ft.) to cover the entire processing plant
- Vacuum system pulls from over 500 ft. at the farthest drop
- Safety equipment and explosion vents to meet the latest OSHA and NFPA requirements for combustible dust
We provided turnkey installation services, from bid through equipment commissioning. Training was provided to plant staff to ensure optimal operations.
Installation of American Vacuum’s equipment met the specific equipment requirements for the project and provided Louis Dreyus Commodities with a safe, dust-free processing environment throughout its expanded plant.